Friday, July 16, 2010

Dedication

Another week down, another few yen earned. All the schools in the area are involved in a baseball tournament over this week and weekend; to say it’s taken seriously would be an understatement. The entirety of both schools I’m at – all students, staff, everyone – is travelling the 3 hours by bus to the stadium to cheer on the baseball team. On a Sunday. The one I’m at today had a special assembly, the latest of several, to practise their cheering – practise their cheering – complete with the school brass band performing the theme tune to ‘Popeye’ and the students (accompanied by yours truly) doing an excellent impression of a drunken uncle dancing at a wedding disco. Welcome to Japan.
You’ll be sad to know that I’m not required to attend, although they did invite me; a friend I used to live with in Melbourne and haven’t seen since is up for the weekend and is my excuse for not getting up at 6am. Phew. Got the Sayonara Party of one of the other ALTs in town tomorrow night, she’s off home to the States again after 2 years in Kuji. We’re all doing a few numbers each in a mini-concert for her before, I assume, heading to karaoke at some point afterwards – in Kuji it’s almost an inevitability at the weekend. Should be fun. 3-day weekend then only 3 days with actual lessons next week, after which almost 3 weeks of summer holiday, hurrah! Must decide what I’m actually going to do with them pretty soon… Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment