Thursday, April 29, 2010

The crew

Hey all, the holiday is on! As of today I'm off for a week, nice... Teaching's still going ok - a bit more attitude in the last class which might be an issue (strangely the kids can get away with quite a lot more in class than they would in the West, maybe because they're so well-behaved generally? Not unusual to have kids trying to sleep, hitting each other, texting mid-lesson etc; all part of the fun...) but otherwise fine and most of the kids and the other teachers are lovely.

Karaoke has been assaulted a couple of times now (as before, Gangsta's Paradise is becoming my standard) and I've now met the grand total of 7 other gaijin in town! Gary, Lee (the 2 other Brit ALTs I arrived with), Liz (crazy cool American girl from Kuji's sister city in Indiana), Nate (big guy from same college as Liz, out-drank me embarrassingly at the weekend), Greg (American, teaches elementary classes, scarily good at Japanese apparently), Dana (again from Indiana - there's an exchange programme ) - great fun, learnt guitar from the inestimable Kenji and can now do a pretty decent lick of 'Wonderwall', hopefully I can make similar progress soon! Georgia completes the community - really fun Kiwi girl, the lone JET, has her mate Paul over for the next 3 weeks so more karaoke and beers on the agenda I suspect!

Right, I'm hosting a little gathering at Pearson Towers tonight so had better get cooking... Take care all

PS. Just got my superflash camera phone so will actually be taking pictures soon, promise!

2 comments:

  1. Dad here, glad to hear you have a holiday I'm sure you need it after the last couple of tumultuous weeks.Your description of the gaijin population of Kuji sounds promising, more than I expected in number and no doubt very relaxing company as there is no language problems.
    Perhaps during the holiday period Skype arrangements can be made.Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Adam, sounds great glad you are meeting some other gaijin, and even entertaining, hope the dinner goes great! Fully moved into the new house now and have finally ejected the laid back jamaican painters, ahhh no more dust! Cant wait to see some pics.

    Take care we all miss you loads at work
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete