Exciting news: after what will be two years and four months spent without breaching Japan's borders, I will finally be back in the motherland this summer! I'm arriving on the 4th of August and departing on the 21st, so for anyone who has some time to spare between those dates, it would be fantastic to meet and catch up.
Apart from seeing family and friends again, the things I'm looking forward to most are:
- proper pubs with British prices (impressively accurate British-style pubs exist in Tokyo, however the average pint of ale will cost you an eye-watering £8)
- the rolling fields of Kent
- being able to understand everything everyone says and everything I read
- old buildings
- being more interesting for 5 minutes than I was before
- seeing how much, or little, everything's changed
- seeing how much, or little, I've changed
It's costing a bomb and will involve a delightful 17-hour stopover each way in Shanghai, but unquestionably this will be money and time well spent. Can't wait.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey Ad, It's Gav! Good to see you're still blogging. Well despite the price I am sure you will enjoy. I was back for a month over Dec/Jan and was really good and relaxing...I was planning my first pint in the Red Lion on the way over!
ReplyDeleteWe'll put out the flags!
ReplyDeleteMarvellous to have something to look forward to in August - not to dread, like the Olympics.
And give my love to Shanghai - check out your Dad's stamping-ground, near the Bund.
Love
Catherine