Making the semi-regular pilgrimage down to Tokyo by nightbus again tonight. A meeting with the school principal on Friday which should, fingers crossed, be the final part of landing the job, plus looking at apartments, meeting up with Koichi again in Yokohama and generally getting more of a flavour of my hopeful new stamping ground.
Have now handed in my notice to Interac and set a fairly firm date of March 17th for the move. A lot of bits and pieces to get sorted between now and then but nothing too challenging (he says, tempting Fate).
Mixed feelings at school: some of prenostalgia (if that's a word), some of frustration at not having made much noticeable difference to students' English in two years of trying - I do remind myself that I'm still a beginner at this, and that the majority aren't the most academically-inclined of kids (I'm realising that's one of the unfairnesses of education - the kids in the poorer areas at the less academic schools get all the novice teachers when they should get the more qualified ones, a trend I'm hardly bucking by moving, hypocrisy alert!) I guess I'm hanging on for the move really.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment