G'day. Feeling distinctly more chipper after a bit of a low patch recently. Had got it into my head that half the students at one of my schools were against me, teaching/Japan wasn't for me, blah. A couple of decent lessons and a visit to the school cultural festival under my belt and things appear immmensely improve. The festival was really fun: I must have spent about 4 or 5,000 yen (35 quid or so) on a load of snacks, games and even a bookshelf all made by the students, fired elastic bands from catapults made of disposable chopsticks (one of which fearsome weapons I then bought) and generally had a great time.
All's busy as usual - next week is the local school recitation contest, which another Lee and I are judging at. I've been helping 6 of the contestants practise their speeches, he's been helping 10, so hardly the most unbiased judges! I shall of course reward most the student who in a diligent and imaginative fashion has succeeded most in sounding like me.
Yesterday was a holiday, so a Japanese friend invited Erica (one of the JETs in town) and me to a 'hike' (in actuality a gentle stroll along a countryside road, but the autumn colours made up for a lack of challenge) and then a boat ride round a local bay through various holes and crannies - the cliffside is covered in gravity-defying shrubbery which I think some of the trees in the background of the original Super Mario (Pearson, your guide to high culture, at your service) must have been based on. Finished up with a look down some tunnels and around a 'secret' beach at the end of one. Photos soon when I've got round to uploading them.
It's getting bloody cold here, regularly below freezing, and winter hasn't even officially started yet, gah! Saw snow for the first time this year on the walk yesterday, soon my chances of leaving the house at any point are going to be seriously diminished I fear...
Seven months in Japan today, ridiculous! Bye for now
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment